Tuesday, August 9, 2011

This morning proved to be another great experience in Boston. My first session was enlightening, learning about those aspects that make the healthcare supply chain unique, as well as similarities from other industries. Following this learning experience, I was able to reconnect with several colleagues at the vendor fair and made new acquaintances as well, which should prove even more valuable than the iPad that I didn’t win.

After lunch, I readied myself for an informative but dry general session; after all, how could a session entitled Health Reform: Drivers and Implications be interesting? The answer to this question is Jamie Orlikoff. He is not only a talented presenter with a mastery of his subject matter, but he was also entertaining and quite funny, even though his message may be construed as “bad news” (As I type, I am putting a quarter in the pickle jar.)

The healthcare supply chain is about to undergo trial by fire. Those supply chain executives who are ready for the challenge will have both the attention and support of the C-Suite at an unprecedented level as the industry is forced to evaluate costs and utilization. I am reminded of an old saying: “Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.” Supply chain has been asking for more administrative attention. Now that we have it, the question becomes, what we are going to do with it? Here’s hoping that we all rise to the challenge.

Jon Reiners, CMRP

No comments:

Post a Comment